Google Reader Drives Opera Crazy

Google Reader is by no means a small site to handle. Though the tasks seem simple, the code is pretty complex. Nevertheless, the Google Reader site has been driving my Opera browser crazy for the past few days. When accessing GReader, Opera goes from 7-15% to damn near 80% of CPU usage. WTH, right? That’s what I said.

So, I decided to try out something. I opened up Google Reader in Firefox. So far, I’ve went through the process of adding, deleting, and reorganizing over 40 feeds using Firefox to access GReader. At first, there were minor spikes in the CPU, but nothing over 30% of CPU usage. After 5 minutes, things leveled out to around 13%, and this is with 4 other tabs running and a few plugins too. Firefox still hasn’t missed a beat, which is something I haven’t seen in a while from Firefox. To be honest, Firefox has been picking up a lot of Opera’s slack on my computer lately. Maybe I’ll give Firefox 3 beta a try.

Opera, stop disappointing me. I have you as my official default browser. Don’t make me go back to Firefox. It’s cool over there, but honestly, I like you better. Though, I’ll leave you if you keep treating my sites like this!

Technorati tags: web browsers, opera, firefox, google reader, browser wars

Corvida Raven

A natural pioneer at grasping the rapidly changing landscape of technology, Corvida Raven talks tech in plain English on SheGeeks.net.